2023 SONA – President Akufo-Addo presents data on completed road projects to Parliament
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo as part of his 2023 State of the Nation Address has presented to Parliament a document containing the total length of completed road projects from January 2017 to December 2022. Between 2017 and December 2022, 11,975.96km of roads, 33 bridges, and 6 interchanges were constructed across the country, according to the document.
Major highlights of the document include 1,807km of asphalt overlays, 615km of construction, 1,818km of upgrading, and 6,094km of gravelling and re-gravelling work on unpaved networks.
Presenting the document to Parliament, President Akufo-Addo said “Mr. Speaker, I would like to state categorically that this Government has built more roads than any government in the history of the 4th Republic, and Mr. Speaker, the details of all these roads are attached in the annex to this Message. I have done so because, last year, when I made a similar pronouncement, I was met with howls and gasps of incredulity from the Minority benches, and so I thought it appropriate, this time, to present it as an annex to the Statement, which will be part of Hansard.”
In a foreword to the document, Hon. Kwasi Amoako-Attah, Minister of Roads and Highways, stated that “the work done by the Akufo-Addo administration nationwide to facilitate road travel has indeed been successful.”
“My Ministry, upon the directive from the President, is glad to present to Members of Parliament evidence of roads completed nationwide under President Akufo-Addo. Uncompleted roads have been excluded. It is our solemn hope that this catalogue of evidence will go a long way in responding to questions about what public funds have been spent on,” the Minister said.
Click the link to access the full document below:
- Asenso-Boakye charges contractor to complete Tema Motorway Roundabout Phase 2 by October 2024.
- Roads Minister Asenso-Boakye engages Japan Ambassador on completion of key projects
- PRESS RELEASE: GOVERNMENT RELEASES GHC 150 MILLION TO PATCH POTHOLES ACROSS THE COUNTRY | 15th February 2024
- PRESS RELEASE: ALLEGATIONS OF ORGANISED CRIME IN THE AWARD OF ROAD CONTRACTS | 23rd October 2023
- PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT: TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT MEASURES TO AID WORK ON THE TEMA MOTORWAY GRADE SEPARATED INTERSECTION (PHASE 2) | 25th September 2023