Today, H.E. the President of the Republic of Ghana, Nana Akufo Addo commissioned the Four Tier Pokuase Interchange, the first of its kind in Ghana and West Africa.
The construction of the Interchange became necessary to eliminate a major bottleneck on the Awoshie-Pokuase-Ritz-Motorway Road and the Accra-Kumasi Highway.
Speaking at a ceremony in Accra, the President said “the modernisation of Ghana is steadily gathering momentum, and I entreat all Ghanaians to join hands in building the Ghana we want.”
The components of the interchange are as follows:
1. The First – Tier is the Accra – Kumasi Road. This has been constructed to a 2×2 dual carriageway with provision made for future Bus Rapid Transit Lanes in the vicinity of the interchange including a 2-lane service road on either side of the road. In some sections the road cross section is ten (10) lanes.
2. The Second-Tier Ramps are for Left turn movements from Kumasi to Kwabenya and Accra to Awoshie. This level also allows for right turn movement from Kumasi towards Awoshie and from Accra towards Kwabenya.
3. The Third-Tier Ramps is for left turn movement from Awoshie to Kumasi and Kwabenya to Accra. It also allows for right turn movements from Awoshie to Accra and from Kwabenya to Kumasi.
4. The Fourth – Tier is for direct movements between Kwabenya and Awoshie.
5. Two footbridges have been provided for safe crossing by pedestrians on the Nsawam Road, one under the interchange and the other at the lorry station at Pokuase.
- CLARIFICATION ON CESSATION OF ROAD AND BRIDGE TOLLS NATIONWIDE – PRESS RELEASE
- We only suspended operationalization of toll collection, not the law – Roads Ministry
- Excerpts of 2022 Budget Statement on Ministry of Roads and Highways
- PRESS RELEASE: CESSATION OF ROAD AND BRIDGE TOLL COLLECTION NATIONWIDE
- Year of Roads: “We will use strategic plan to complete projects”